|Machine condition monitoring is used to determine the condition of a machine with the intent to forecast mechanical wear and failure. The predicted data provides health information of the machine and helps to predict machinery failure. The monitoring equipment tracks changes in temperature, vibration, and output of machines in order to detect imbalance, corrosion, wear, misalignment, sediment build-up, or poorly lubricated parts. Condition monitoring has gained importance in line with increased company focus on productivity and asset utilization. The need for eliminating unnecessary maintenance costs and catastrophic breakdowns in production processes is expected to continue to drive the adoption of condition monitoring solutions.
The global machine condition monitoring market can be divided on the basis of products, applications, and components. On the basis of products, the global machine conditioning monitoring market can be segmented, into thermography equipment, vibration monitoring equipment, corrosion monitoring equipment, ultrasound emission equipment, lubricating oil analysis equipment, and motor current signature analysis equipment.
The vibration-based condition monitoring equipment holds the leading place amongst all condition-based maintenance technologies. On and off-line vibration monitoring is extensively used by industries to perform continuous production processes. In addition to vibration monitoring, other techniques used for machine condition monitoring are wear analysis, thermography, performance monitoring, degradation by products, and physical testing.
Types of Machine Condition Monitoring
Each of the five main varieties of machine condition monitoring serves a different role.
- Route-based monitoring involves a technician recording data intermittently with a handheld instrument. This data is then used for trending to determine if more advanced analysis is needed.
Portable Machine Diagnostics
- Portable machine diagnostics is the process of using portable equipment to monitor the health of machinery. Sensors are typically permanently attached to a machine and portable data acquisition equipment is used to read the data.
Factory Assurance Test
- Factory assurance test is used to verify that a finished product meets its design specifications and to determine possible failure modes of the device.
Online Machine Monitoring
- Online machine monitoring is the process of monitoring equipment as it runs. Data is acquired by an embedded device and transmitted to a main server for data analysis and maintenance scheduling.
Online Machine Protection
- Online machine protection is the process of actively monitoring equipment as it runs. Data is acquired and analyzed by an embedded device. Limit settings can then be used to control turning on and off machinery.
Key vendors: Emerson, GE, Honeywell, Rockwell Automation