- Application Infrastructure & Middleware - Data Visualization
- Functional Applications - Remote Monitoring & Control Systems
- Networks & Connectivity - Cellular
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) - Device Management Platforms
- Sensors - Utility Meters
- Electrical Grids
- Business Operation
- Energy Management System
There were several challenges faced:
- Since this data would be in the public domain, accuracy and authenticity of this data were of paramount importance. It should be able to withstand scrutiny.
- It is challenging to build an appliance that can withstand a wide range of voltage fluctuations from as low at 90v to as high as 320v. Since the device would be installed in remote locations, its resilience was of paramount importance.
- The device would have to deal with poor network coverage and have the ability to store and re-transmit data if networks were not available, which is often the case in rural India. The device could store up to 30 days of data.
- The platform that deals with the data should be readily available and highly reliable and never lose a packet of data.
About The Customer
Prayas Energy Group, a non-governmental, not-for-profit organization based in Pune, India – that works to protect and promote public interest in the energy sector. The group has made significant contributions to the Indian energy sector and has esta
Altizon provided an end-to-end solution for the customer that included Design for Manufacture Service for building the connected device and the Datonis® platform that acted as the IoT platform for these connected devices. The Datonis® platform was provided to the customer in a SaaS model.
- The connected device consisted of a smart connected energy meter that was rated to accurately measure voltage.
- The connected energy meter had a SIM card slot and was compatible with all service providers in India.
- It was plug and play so you could simply plug it in and it would work.
- The customer was given a secure account on Datonis® and access the Datonis® Application API to access the data being transmitted by the energy meters.
- The customer built their portal that would visualize this data in a manner that made business sense to them.
Case Study missing?
Start adding your own!
Register with your work email and create a new case study profile for your business.
Related Case Studies.
Selling more with Whirlpool
Whirlpool wanted to add connectivity to appliances and transform the company's relationship with customers. Traditionally, Whirlpool interaction with customers was limited to purchases made once every ten years. Connected washer and dryers provide exciting new features like remote management of start times and inter-machine communication.
Hydro One Leads the Way In Smart Meter Development
In 2010, Ontario’s energy board mandated that time-of-use (TOU) pricing for consumers be available for all consumers on a regulated price plan. To meet this requirement, Hydro One needed to quickly deploy a smart meter and intelligent communications network solution to meet the provincial government’s requirement at a low cost. The network needed to cover Hydro One’s expansive service territory, which has a land mass twice the size of Texas, and its customers live in a mix of urban, rural, and remote areas, some places only accessible by air, rail, boat or snowmobile. Most importantly, the network needed to enable future enterprise-wide business efficiencies, modernization of distribution infrastructure and enhanced customer service. To meet these needs, Hydro One conceptualized an end-to-end solution leveraging open standards and Internet Protocols (IP) at all communication levels. The utility drew upon industry leaders like Trilliant to realize this vision.
SAS® Analytics for IoT: Smart Grid
Companies face falling revenues, rising infrastructure costs, and increasing risk of outages caused by inconsistent energy production from renewable sources. Less money is coming in as more people and organizations take steps to curb their energy use. Utilities are paying more to maintain and build infrastructure due to increasing complexity, resulting from the rising number of intermittent and variable renewable energy sources connected in the distribution grid.
Enel Secures Italian Power Generation Network
Electric energy operators around the world are working to increase the reliability and cyber resiliency of their systems. This includes Enel, a global power company that manages and monitors the Italian power grid. This grid:• Serves 31 million customers• Has a net installed energy capacity exceeding 31 gigawatts• Includes more than 500 power generation plants,including hydroelectric, thermoelectric, and wind• Is managed and monitored by Enel 24/7/365• Is operated by Terna, the Italian Transmission System Operator (TSO)Enel is responsible for the availability of the grid’s underlying ICS and industrial network. It also manages Regional Control Centers and Interconnection Centers which connect with the TSO. The TSO manages the flow of energy to the grid plus controls and remotely regulates the power generation of power plants, increasing and decreasing power production as required. The complex system of interaction and cooperation between Enel and the TSO has strong security implications as well as operational and business challenges.
IIC Communication & Control Testbed for Microgrid Applications
Traditional central-station power grids operate on 15-minute output update cycles that force operators to over-generate power to compensate for potential blackouts or unexpected new power demands on the grid. Additionally, they cannot efficiently utilize the distributed, dynamic generation of renewable power sources such as solar panels or wind turbines.
Product Development for Power Line Communication (PLC/BPL) Systems
The client wanted to develop a product that can acquire data from their meter units installed at the consumer's premises. A system capable of acquiring, transferring and archiving the data had to be in place, replacing the existing traditional method which was error prone and expensive to operate. The system needed to be integrated with the existing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for increasing the operational efficiency.